411712 - Disabilities Services Officer
Works in a range of service units which provide education and community access to people with intellectual, physical, social and emotional disabilities.
Skills Assessment Authority
No caveats apply to this occupation.
Endorsed Correlations to ASCO Occupations
- 3421-17 Disabilities Services Officer
Group: 4117 Welfare Support Workers
provide support, information and advice to clients on emotional, financial, recreational, health, housing and other social welfare matters, and evaluate and coordinate the services of welfare and community service agencies.
- assessing clients' needs and planning, developing and implementing educational, training and support programs
- interviewing clients and assessing the nature and extent of difficulties
- monitoring and reporting on the progress of clients
- referring clients to agencies that can provide additional help
- assessing community need and resources for health, welfare, housing, employment, training and other facilities and services
- liaising with community groups, welfare agencies, government bodies and private businesses about community issues and promoting awareness of community resources and services
- supporting families and providing education and care for children and disabled persons in adult service units, group housing and government institutions
- supervising offenders on probation and parole
- assisting young people to solve social, emotional and financial problems
- preparing submissions for funding and resources, and reports to government bodies and other agencies
Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with the qualifications and experience outlined below.
AQF Associate Degree, Advanced Diploma or Diploma (ANZSCO Skill Level 2)
In New Zealand:
NZ Register Diploma (ANZSCO Skill Level 2)
At least three years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualifications listed above. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification.
Occupations in this Group
- 411711 Community Worker
- 411712 Disabilities Services Officer
- 411713 Family Support Worker
- 411714 Parole or Probation Officer
- 411715 Residential Care Officer
- 411716 Youth Worker