322311 - Metal Fabricator
Marks off and fabricates structural steel and other metal stock to make or repair metal products and structures such as boilers and pressure vessels.
- Brass Finisher
- Metal Fabricator-Welder
- Metal Template Maker
- Structural Steel Trades Worker
Skills Assessment Authority
No caveats apply to this occupation.
Endorsed Correlations to ASCO Occupations
- 4121-01 Supervisor, General Fabrication Engineering Tradespersons
- 4121-11 General Fabrication Engineering Tradesperson
- 4122-01 Supervisor, Structural Steel and Welding Tradespersons
- 4122-11 Metal Fabricator
Group: 3223 Structural Steel and Welding Trades Workers
cut, shape, join and repair metal components of iron and steel structures, boilers, pressure vessels and pipes, ships and other vessels.
- studying blueprints, drawings and specifications to determine job requirements
selecting, cleaning and preparing metal stock
- cutting marked-out metal sections and shapes using hand tools, flame cutting torches and metal cutting machines
- shaping and bending metal sections and pipes using hand and machine tools, and by heating and hammering
- aligning parts to be joined using hand tools and measuring instruments
- joining metal sections using various welding techniques, bolting and riveting
- examining welds for width of bead, penetration and precision
- finishing products by cleaning, polishing, filing and bathing in acidic solutions
- cleaning and smoothing welds by filing, chiselling and grinding
Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with the qualifications and experience outlined below.
AQF Certificate III including at least two years of on-the-job training, or AQF Certificate IV (ANZSCO Skill Level 3)
In New Zealand:
NZ Register Level 4 qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 3)
At least three years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualifications listed above. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification.
Occupations in this Group
- 322311 Metal Fabricator
- 322312 Pressure Welder
- 322313 Welder (First Class) (Aus) / Welder (NZ)