272199 - Counsellors nec
This occupation group covers Counsellors not elsewhere classified. Occupations in this group may work in a call centre.
- Gambling Counsellor
- Grief Counsellor
- Life Coach
- Sexual Assault Counsellor (Aus) / Sexual Abuse Counsellor (NZ)
- Trauma Counsellor
Skills Assessment Authority
No caveats apply to this occupation.
Endorsed Correlations to ASCO Occupations
Group: 2721 Counsellors
provide information on vocational, relationship, social and educational difficulties and issues, and work with people to help them to identify and define their emotional issues through therapies such as cognitive behaviour therapy, interpersonal therapy and other talking therapies.
- working with clients on career, study and employment options by obtaining and examining information relevant to their abilities and needs
- providing information and resources to assist clients with job-seeking skills
- assessing client needs in relation to treatment for drug and alcohol abuse
- conducting counselling interviews with individuals, couples and family groups
- assisting the understanding and adjustment of attitudes, expectations and behaviour to develop more effective interpersonal and marital relationships
- presenting alternative approaches and discussing potential for attitude and behaviour change
- consulting with clients to develop rehabilitation plans taking account of vocational and social needs
- contributing information, understanding and advice on the learning and behaviour of students, especially those with special needs, and assisting parents and teachers in dealing with these needs
- may work in a call centre
Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with a bachelor degree or higher qualification. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 1).
Occupations in this Group
- 272111 Careers Counsellor
- 272112 Drug and Alcohol Counsellor
- 272113 Family and Marriage Counsellor
- 272114 Rehabilitation Counsellor
- 272115 Student Counsellor
- 272199 Counsellors nec