251214 - Sonographer
Operates ultrasound equipment to acquire, interpret and selectively record anatomical images, physical data and real-time physiological information for medical diagnostic purposes in conjunction with Medical Practitioners.
Skills Assessment Authority
No caveats apply to this occupation.
Endorsed Correlations to ASCO Occupations
Group: 2512 Medical Imaging Professionals
operate X-ray and other radiation producing and imaging equipment for diagnostic, monitoring and treatment purposes under the direction of Radiologists and other Medical Practitioners.
- receiving referrals from Medical Practitioners to perform medical imaging and radiation treatment of patients
- determining the appropriate equipment to use, such as X-ray equipment, radiation scanners, fluoroscopes, ultrasound equipment, nuclear instrumentation, angiography equipment and computed tomography (CT) equipment, and selecting the appropriate equipment settings to provide the diagnostic information requested by Medical Practitioners
- calculating details of procedures such as length and intensity of exposure to radiation, size and strength of dosage of isotopes, and settings of recording equipment
- explaining procedures to patients and answering patients' inquiries about processes
- ensuring patients' welfare during procedures
- positioning patients, screens and equipment preparatory to procedures
- viewing the screen and deciding if images are satisfactory for diagnostic purposes, and selecting images to show Medical Practitioners
- conveying findings of procedures to Medical Practitioners
Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with a bachelor degree or higher qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 1).
Registration or licensing may be required.
Occupations in this Group
- 251211 Medical Diagnostic Radiographer
- 251212 Medical Radiation Therapist
- 251213 Nuclear Medicine Technologist
- 251214 Sonographer