241512 - Teacher of the Hearing Impaired
Teaches academic and living skills to hearing impaired students, and promotes students' social, emotional, intellectual and physical development. Registration or licensing is required.
Skills Assessment Authority
No caveats apply to this occupation.
Endorsed Correlations to ASCO Occupations
- 2414-13 Teacher of the Hearing Impaired
Group: 2415 Special Education Teachers
teach primary, middle or intermediate, and secondary school students with learning difficulties, hearing impairment and sight impairment, and promote students' social, emotional, intellectual and physical development.
- assessing students' abilities and limitations with regard to intellectual, physical, social and emotional disabilities, exceptional intellectual gifts, or specific problems of language and culture
- planning, organising and implementing special programs to provide remedial or advanced tuition
- administering various forms of assessment and interpreting the results
- teaching basic academic subjects, and practical and self-help skills to hearing and sight impaired students
- devising instructional materials, methods and aids to assist in training and rehabilitation
- advising, instructing and counselling parents and teachers on the availability and use of special techniques
- stimulating and developing interests, abilities, manual skills and coordination
- conferring with other staff members to plan and schedule lessons for special needs students
- preparing and maintaining student data and other records and submitting reports
Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with a bachelor degree or higher qualification. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 1).
Registration or licensing is required.
Occupations in this Group
- 241511 Special Needs Teacher
- 241512 Teacher of the Hearing Impaired
- 241513 Teacher of the Sight Impaired
- 241599 Special Education Teachers nec