234611 - Medical Laboratory Scientist
Conducts medical laboratory tests to assist in the diagnosis, treatment and prevention of disease. Registration or licensing is required.
- Hospital Scientist
- Medical Scientific Officer
Skills Assessment Authority
No caveats apply to this occupation.
Endorsed Correlations to ASCO Occupations
- 2115-11 Medical Scientist
Group: 2346 Medical Laboratory Scientists
conduct medical laboratory tests to assist in the diagnosis, treatment and prevention of disease.
- preparing tissue sections for microscopic examination
- examining and analysing samples to study the effects of microbial infections
- analysing samples of body tissue and fluids to develop techniques to aid in the diagnosis and treatment of diseases
- advising Medical Practitioners on the interpretation of tests and methods for use in the diagnosis and treatment of disease
- setting up the steps and rules of laboratory medical testing
- operating and maintaining laboratory equipment
- maintaining laboratory quality assurance and safety standards
- preparing scientific papers and reports
- studies the formation, early growth and development of living organisms
Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with a bachelor degree or higher qualification. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 1).
Occupations in this Group
- 234611 Medical Laboratory Scientist