234112 - Agricultural Scientist
Studies commercial plants, animals and cultivation techniques to enhance the productivity of farms and agricultural industries.
Skills Assessment Authority
No caveats apply to this occupation.
Endorsed Correlations to ASCO Occupations
- 2114-19 Agricultural Scientist
Group: 2341 Agricultural and Forestry Scientists
advise farmers, rural industries and government on aspects of farming, develop techniques for increasing productivity, and study and develop plans and policies for the management of forest areas.
- collecting and analysing data and samples of produce, feed, soil and other factors affecting production
- advising Farmers and Farm Managers on techniques for improving the production of crops and livestock, and alternative agricultural options
- advising farmers on issues such as livestock and crop disease, control of pests and weeds, soil improvement, animal husbandry and feeding programs
- studying the environmental factors affecting commercial crop production, pasture growth, animal breeding, and the growth and health of forest trees
- studying the effects of cultivation techniques, soils, insects and plant diseases on animal, crop and forest production
- developing procedures and techniques for solving agricultural problems and improving the efficiency of production
- managing forest resources to maximise their long-term commercial, recreational and environmental benefits for the community
- studying the propagation and culture of forest trees, methods for improving the growth of stock, and the effects of thinning on forest yields
- preparing plans for reafforestation and devising efficient harvesting systems
- investigating, planning and implementing management procedures to cope with the effects of fires, floods, droughts, soil erosion, insect pests and diseases
Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with a bachelor degree or higher qualification. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 1).
Occupations in this Group
- 234111 Agricultural Consultant
- 234112 Agricultural Scientist
- 234113 Forester (Aus) / Forest Scientist (NZ)