211411 - Painter (Visual Arts)
Conceives and creates visual art forms, such as pictures, abstract designs and similar compositions, to communicate impressions and ideas. This occupation requires high levels of creative talent or personal commitment and interest as well as, or in place of, formal qualifications or experience.
Skills Assessment Authority
No caveats apply to this occupation.
Endorsed Correlations to ASCO Occupations
- 2531-11 Painter (Visual Arts)
Group: 2114 Visual Arts and Crafts Professionals
create visual two- and three-dimensional concepts and forms through painting, drawing, carving, sculpting, modelling, printmaking, video, multimedia, found objects, ephemera, soundscapes and other media to communicate concepts and ideas.
- conceiving and developing ideas, designs and styles for paintings, drawings, pottery pieces and sculptures
- arranging objects, positioning models, and selecting landscapes and other visual forms according to chosen subject matter
- selecting artistic media, method and materials
- applying media to surfaces using appropriate techniques
- moulding clay into functional and artistic articles by wheel-throwing, moulding and hand-building
- mixing glazing materials and applying glazes to dried pottery by dipping and painting
- placing finished and decorated pieces in kilns
- sketching designs of proposed sculptures, and making wax and plaster models
- devising forms from metal using welding and metalworking equipment, and from stone using masonry tools
- carving and forming materials to desired shape using hand and power tools
Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with a bachelor degree or higher qualification. At least five years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualification. Some occupations in this unit group require high levels of creative talent or personal commitment and interest as well as, or in place of, formal qualifications or experience (ANZSCO Skill Level 1).
Occupations in this Group
- 211411 Painter (Visual Arts)
- 211412 Potter or Ceramic Artist
- 211413 Sculptor
- 211499 Visual Arts and Crafts Professionals nec