121221 - Vegetable Grower (Aus) / Market Gardener (NZ)
This occupation group covers Crop Farmers not elsewhere classified.
- Coffee Grower
- Ginger Farmer
- Hop Farmer
- Mushroom Grower
- Tea Tree Farmer
- Tree Farmer
Skills Assessment Authority
Not eligible if:
- Caveat 9
- TSS, ENS - The position predominantly involves responsibility for low skilled tasks.
- Example 1: Rostering, maintaining records, reception duties and allocating duties to housekeepers, porters or doorpersons.
- Example 2: Fruit picking or packing or feeding of livestock or animals.
- Example 3: Truck driving.
- Caveat 10
- TSS, ENS - The position is not located in regional Australia (within the meaning of subregulation 5.19(7) of the Regulations).
Group: 1212 Crop Farmers
plan, organise, control, coordinate and perform farming operations to grow crops.
- planning and coordinating the production and marketing of crops, such as grain, cotton, sugar cane, fruit and nuts, vegetables, turf and flowers, from soil preparation to harvest taking into account environmental and market factors
- selecting and planting seeds, seedlings and bulbs, and grafting new varieties to root stocks
- maintaining crop production by cultivating, de-budding and pruning, and maintaining optimal growing conditions
- organising and conducting farming operations, such as collecting, storing, grading and packaging produce, and organising the sale, purchase and despatch of produce
- directing and overseeing general farming activities such as fertilising and pest and weed control
- maintaining farm buildings, fences, equipment and water supply systems
- maintaining and evaluating records of farming activities, monitoring market activity, and planning crop preparation and production to meet contract requirements and market demand
- managing business capital including budgeting, taxation, debt and loan management
- may select, train and supervise staff and contractors
Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with a bachelor degree or higher qualification. At least five years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualification. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification (ANZSCO Skill Level 1).
Occupations in this Group
- 121211 Cotton Grower
- 121212 Flower Grower
- 121213 Fruit or Nut Grower
- 121214 Grain, Oilseed or Pasture Grower (Aus) / Field Crop Grower (NZ)
- 121215 Grape Grower
- 121216 Mixed Crop Farmer
- 121217 Sugar Cane Grower
- 121218 Turf Grower
- 121221 Vegetable Grower (Aus) / Market Gardener (NZ)
- 121299 Crop Farmers nec