Who is this visa for?
Skill Nominated Visa is a permanent resident visa for skilled workers who are qualified and experienced to fill Australia’s skill shortages and migrate to Australia.
Applicants must have a minimum of 65 points in the Points Assessment. Individuals must also be nominated by an Australian State or Territory Government.
What will this visa let me do?
The Skilled Nominated visa is a permanent visa upon grant. This allows the applicant and any accompanying family members to:
- Live and work in Australia indefinitely with no restrictions
- Study in Australia and access subsidised education
- Access to Medicare
- Apply for specific social security payments (some waiting periods apply)
- Apply for Australian citizenship (after meeting certain residential requirements)
- Have the ability to sponsor family members for certain visas
- Travel in and out of Australia for 5 years
Basic Visa Requirements
There are 2 stages of the Skilled Independent visa:
- Expression of Interest
Expression of Interest
Applicants are required to submit an Expression of Interest (EOI). If they receive an invitation, applicants can then apply for the visa in the given time frame.
Please note that there is no guarantee that submitting an EOI will result in an invitation to apply for the visa. The SkillSelect system is designed to fill Australia’s skill shortages and there is a certain quota of each occupation on the relevant skilled occupation list that is invited in each quarter-yearly.
To be eligible to apply for the Skilled Independent visa, applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Meet the 65 points in the points test
- An occupation that is on the relevant skilled occupation list
- A positive Skills Assessment
- Minimum ‘Competent’ English language ability
You can be inside or outside of Australia during the lodgement of the visa application.
Applicants are required to be less than 45 years of age.
The government charges for visa application can be found here.